Ai Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

basic Art-Net control

5 posters

Go down

basic Art-Net control Empty basic Art-Net control

Post  icke_siegen Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 am

Hi there,

can anyone please shed some light on me... I spent the day trying to control AI (version 5 resp 6) via Art-Net. In particular, I want/need just some simple controls: lay brightness, clip select, start/stop, play mode. But I don't find the suitable hooks to wire into. Worst thing is the clip select. Don't find a port for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sebastian

icke_siegen

Back to top Go down

basic Art-Net control Empty Re: basic Art-Net control

Post  Dmxdesign Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 am

Hi are you trying to roll your own artnet control ? Or use a desk for it
If rolling your own is your artnet packet conforming to the spec ? If it is does your packet contain the default values for the fixture you're working on remembering that 1 fixture takes 1 universe
I would suggest using artistic licence dmx workshop to see if artnet data is correct for system in case it is something else artnet can be fun at times
All the channel details are in the manual from page 91 a quick breakdown of channels you want to use
Ch 1 master brightness default 255
Ch 13 fixture group brightness default 255
Ch 55 fixture group transport control default 15 play
Ch 67 layer 1 brightness default 255
Ch 68 layer 1 cluster select 0 to 35 0 = cluster a : 25 = cluster z : 26 = cluster 0 : 35 = cluster 9
Ch 69 clp select within cluster group 0 to 127
Ch 87 layer 1 play mode 0 to 3
Ch 96 layer 1 transport control 0 to 39 default 15
I hope this info is of some use
Anymore questions shout up and if i can help I will
All the best
Chris

Dmxdesign

Back to top Go down

Post  icke_siegen Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:00 am

Hi Chris,

thanks for your quick reply.
Actually, I am hooking up AI to a plain lighting desk (which happens to be an Avo desk). But I was looking for a way to have only the basic controls on the desk: brightness, and per layer and fixture group clip select, play mode, mix mode. This would not only spare me lots of channels (and universes), but also lots of possible faults. If I can adjust each cropping, speed etc. from the desk - which I won't use - it's likely I do set some things by accident. That's why I was - and still am - looking for a slimmer approach.

Sebastian

icke_siegen

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmxdesign Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

Hi I think when using artnet you have to use all channels for it to work so unfortunately you can't pick only the channels you want
But on a different idea you might be able to control what you want using midi so with a dmx to midi converter you can select clusters and layer brightness
You might be able to insert a midi module into the stage patch to control playback maybe Dave or Arran could have a cunning plan / suggestion
All the best
Chris

Dmxdesign

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmxdesign Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 am

Quick thought and a good look at the manual you might be able to do something with the artnet input module
Instead of midi
All the best
Chris

Dmxdesign

Back to top Go down

Post  icke_siegen Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Chris. Let's see what the AI guys have to say Smile

Sebastian

icke_siegen

Back to top Go down

Post  Selvo Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Sebastian and Chris
As Chris correctly points out with the use of the art net input modules you can specify a universe and channel . This then gives you a control output node that can be wired inside AI to any control input node.

Selvo

Back to top Go down

Post  icke_siegen Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Yessir - I am quite familiar with that.

But where exactly do I have to wire it into? I didn't find a module, patch, port or parameter which triggers the hexagons (or the underlying clips/images).

Seems this has greatly changed in the new versions. However, currently the client works with the downloadable version (6.0.158). So, this is where I am trying to find a solution for.

Thanks in advance, Sebastian

icke_siegen

Back to top Go down

Post  ArranAI Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 am

i have emailed you a reply, but just for here.....

you dont need to connect artnet inputs anywhere within Ai if they are controlling pre-assigned parameters - you only need to get them into the machine ( you dont even need to use the artnet input module)

you only need use them if you are trying to get Ai to work differently to the pre-assigned artnet personality.
ArranAI
ArranAI
Admin

http://www.avolitesmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  icke_siegen Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 am

Hi Arran,

yes, thanks for that. However, and as already mentioned, I do see three problems:
- this consumes much more channels universes than you expect to use
- this opens parameters to Art-Net control which you do not intend to control via Art-Net. E.g. it's possible to set some strange values for cropping, position, In/out points, just by accident. Or is there a way to disable Art-Net for certain attributes?
- this addresses the hexagons by a number you cannot really edit or adjust. Is this number given when hexagons are created? What happens if I delete a hexagon?

That's why I was - and still am - looking for a more straight-forward solution.

Sebastian

icke_siegen

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi Sebastian

The straightforward solution is to wait for v7 - its nearly done and addresses directly these problems you are having and many more..

We are planning to put a link to the v7 BETA version for download and testing towards the end of this week, so its very nearly ready!

Thanks for your interest and best regards
Dave
Dave
Admin

http://www.immersive.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down